We think it's important for you to understand how cookies and other similar technologies are used by VAuctions.com. These technologies help VHobbies.com LLC function, allow us to understand how you use the Services, and have a number of purposes (beyond just advertising) that you can read about in this policy.
This Cookies & Similar Technologies Policy was published on May 24, 2018.
It will take effect on May 25, 2018.
In this policy, we'll refer to VAuctions.com as the "Site".
We’ll refer to cookies and similar technologies collectively as "Cookie Technologies".
Types of Cookie Technologies
Cookies are small data files sent from a server to your web browser. They are stored in your browser’s cache and allow a website or a third party to recognize your browser. There are three primary types of cookies:
• Session cookies are specific to a particular visit and carry information as you view different pages so you don’t have to re-enter information every time you change pages or attempt to checkout. Session cookies expire and delete themselves automatically in a short period of time like after you leave the Site or when you close your web browser.
• Persistent cookies remember certain information about your preferences for viewing the site, and allow VAuctions to recognize you each time you return. Persistent cookies are stored on your browser cache or mobile device until you choose to delete them, and otherwise typically delete themselves at expiration.
• Third-party cookies are placed by someone other than VAuctions, and may gather browsing activity across multiple websites and across multiple sessions. They are usually a type of persistent cookie and are stored until you delete them or they expire based on the time period set in each third-party cookie.
Cookies store data about your use, but they are helpful because they allow us to help VAuctions function and customize your experience. You can configure your desktop or mobile browser's settings to reflect your preference to accept or reject cookies, including how to handle third-party cookies.
In addition to cookies, there are other similar technologies used by VAuctions and elsewhere on the web.
• Web beacons: These are tiny graphics (sometimes called “clear GIFs” or “web pixels”) with a unique identifier that are used to understand browsing activity. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on a user's computer hard drive, web beacons are rendered invisibly on web pages when you open a page.
• Social widgets: These are buttons or icons provided by third-party social media providers that allow you to interact with those social media services when you view a web page. These social widgets may collect browsing data, which may be received by the third party that provided the widget, and are controlled by the third parties.
• UTM codes: These are strings that can appear in a URL (the “Uniform Resource Locator,” which is typically the http or https address entered to go to a web page) when a user moves from one web page or website to another, where the string can represent information about browsing, such as which advertisement, page, or publisher sent the user to the receiving website.
• Local Storage Objects: These (sometimes called flash cookies) are sets of data that can be stored on your browser by a site. They can be used to maintain preferences, maintain a history of usage, or even maintain the state or settings of an app.
VAuctions uses Cookie Technologies to recognize your logged-in state on VAuctions, to understand what purchases members and visitors are interested in, to make VAuctions Sites function for you, and to help your browsing experience and use of the Site, Services feel more customized. More generally, VAuctions uses Cookie Technologies for the following.
Security and Authentication (Strictly Necessary)
Some cookie and similar technology functions are necessary and vital to ensuring that VAuctions works properly for visitors and members, such as maintaining the security, safety, and integrity of the Site, authentication and logging into VAuctions (including remembering permissions and consents you have granted), and ensuring the ability to securely complete transactions.
Account and User Preferences
Some technologies are used to remember your account and preferences over time, such as remembering your account or keeping yourself logged in when returning to VAuctions, maintaining your choices on VAuctions features and how you want VAuctions to appear, including keeping track of your preferred language.
Social networks may also work with VAuctions or with you for analytics or for marketing purposes, as discussed below. You may be able to manage your privacy preferences for these social networks and their tools and widgets via your account with the social network.
Performance and Analytics
Some technologies help provide performance data on how the Services are functioning in order to improve VAuctions and the Services, including, for example, data on site functionality and speed to help us optimize VAuctions, how the Services are used to help us improve your experience on VAuctions, and detecting and gathering reporting on bugs to help make VAuctions work better.
The Site also employ Google Analytics to help understand how VAuctions is used by its community. For some of the advertising features listed below, like retargeting, data from Google Analytics may be combined with VAuctions’s first-party data and third-party cookies (like Google’s advertising cookies). To see how to opt-out of Google Analytics Advertising Features, see the Opt-Out section at the bottom of this policy. You can find more information on how Google Analytics works in this Google guide.
VAuctions partners with third-party service providers that may use various Cookie Technologies to permit us and them to learn about what ads you see and click when you visit VAuctions, or to show you ads on and off VAuctions. These may include things such as:
• Frequency capping, which limits the number of times a user’s browser or mobile device displays the same ad;
• Attribution tracking, which estimates what advertising or marketing source brought someone to VAuctions, or determines what marketing source led to actions like a visit or a purchase;
• Remarketing, which shows relevant ads to an audience based on prior shopping and browsing patterns on VAuctions;
• Audience targeting, which refers to targeting advertisements to a large audience based on the audience’s known or inferred demographics; and these technologies allow a partner to recognize your computer or mobile device each time you visit VAuctions or other websites and mobile applications based on data like a cookie, your IP address, or device ID, but do not allow access to other personal information from VAuctions. However, these technologies may allow us or a third party to recognize you, either from a single device or across devices, over time. These third parties are required to follow applicable laws, self-regulatory programs, and VAuctions’s data protection rules where applicable. However, VAuctions does not have control over these third parties, who each have their own privacy policies and privacy practices.
Consent, Contract, and Legitimate Interests in Processing
Certain Cookie Technologies are employed to make the Site function for its intended purpose, and are provided based on contractual necessity based on your agreement with VAuctions to perform the services you have requested. These include the functions strictly necessary to the service noted above.
By choosing to use our Services after having been notified of our use of Cookie Technologies in the ways described in this Policy, and, in applicable jurisdictions, through notice and unambiguous acknowledgement of your consent, you agree to such use.
Managing Cookie Technologies
You can manage your VAuctions marketing preferences (Newsletters) in your account settings.
Opt-in and Opt-out on Browsers
In addition, when you use VAuctions via a browser, you can change your web browser's settings to reflect your cookie preferences for cookies directly from the site you are on or for third-party cookies. Each browser is a little different, but usually these settings are under the "options" or "preferences" menu.
Google Analytics Opt-out
For Google Analytics Advertising Features, you can opt-out through Google Ads Settings, Ad Settings for mobile apps, or any other available means (for example, the NAI's consumer opt-out listed above). Google also provides a Google Analytics opt-out plug-in for the web.
If you have questions about the use of Cookie Technologies at VAuctions, please Contact us
Last updated on May 24, 2018